We have all seen the troubling news this week regarding the Equine Herpes Virus outbreak in Europe. We have no reports of any horses with EHV-1 in the Wellington area.
We would, however, like to remind competitors at the Winter Equestrian Festival and Global Dressage Festival that it is our shared responsibility to keep our horses safe. Please remember the following:
- Take all horses’ temperature daily and report any horse with a temperature above 101.5oF or any signs of respiratory or neurological disease to your veterinarian and/or show management
- Take the temperature of all horses prior to shipping to WEF or AGDF and do not bring any febrile horses to the show
- Avoid mixing of horses where possible; practice equine ‘social distancing’
- Ensure good hygiene and biosecurity at the show and your home farms
- Make sure your horses are currently vaccinated for influenza and EHV
We have longstanding protocols to manage such events and will provide isolation facilities if and as required. Experience has taught us that early identification is key when dealing with disease outbreaks and this requires co-operation from everyone within the community.
If you have any questions or concerns about your horse’s health, please contact our veterinary partners Palm Beach Equine Clinic at (561)-793-1599.
For more information, please visit www.PBIEC.com.